Too many A and P training courses today are still limited to the traditional elements of skin anatomy and physiology. Modern aesthetic practice, however, has moved on a pace, and with it the all-important consultations, treatment protocols and combined therapies, which rely heavily on education and science to underpin the decision making at this level. Peels, microneedling, mesotherapy, skin tightening, skin rejuvenation, dermal fillers, botulinum toxin, lasers, plasma therapy, thread-lifts and dermaplaning, all impact the skin at a cellular level. However, each technique uses different strategies to stimulate and achieve skin remodelling, alongside all the different contra actions, contraindications, and adverse reactions. Realising this need, and in collaboration with Qualifi, we created an innovative approach to aesthetic practice, designed to support those individuals who are novices to the industry, or ‘seasoned professionals’ wanting to advance and underpin the science behind their suite of specialisms. This course is mapped directly and to the assessment criteria of Qualifi Level 5 and 7 Aesthetic Practice.
Anatomy and Physiology for Aesthetic Practice
Units AP 401, 402 and 403
- The biochemistry and biology of cells.
- Carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins.
- Cell division, apoptosis, and cancers.
- How cell specialisation and organisation lead to increasing complexity.
- The structure, function and interdependence of the major organ systems
- Skin morphology.
- The structure and function of skin appendages.
- The inflammatory response and skin remodelling.
- Intrinsic and extrinsic factors affecting skin ageing
- The common skin types, diseases, and disorders (includes Fitzpatrick, Glogau & Lancer skin types)
- The importance of cell biology and biochemistry in aesthetic practice.
- Applying the science to micro-needling, peels, dermal fillers, botulinum toxin, plasma therapy, pain management, PDO threads, and complications.
- Anatomy of facial bones, muscles, nerves, fat pads, and blood vessels.
1 Multiple Choice paper (50 questions)
Short Answer Questions (17 questions)
Online – Resource handbook and workbooks written by Liberty Aesthetics Academy.
Tutorial support online.
A complete guide to the course content and assessment can be found here, on the Qualifi website: